AIM is the most widely used IM program in America with an estimated 53 million users, according to Nielsen/Netratings.
A long-standing leader in the IM market, AIM was one of the first IM clients to offer features such as photo and file sharing, audio/webcam chat and IM-to-cell phone integration.
With AIM's newest release, version 6.9 beta, users can:
- send and receive IMs
- share photos and files through IM
- launch voice/webcam chat
- access free AIM chat rooms
- automatically save IMs through IM logging
- receive messages while offline
- personalize with AIM Expressions
- send free text messages
- broadcast status messages
- and, enhance the AIM experience with AIM plugins.
New users can receive a screenname and download AIM for free.
- Windows 2000 or higher
- Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- 128MB RAM/512MB for enhanced multimedia features
- Macromedia Flash
- Microphone and speakers/headset for voice/audio chat.
Broadband Internet connection is recommended for multimedia and live video chatting capabilities.
AIM for Mac and Linux OS are also available.