But, how does the average Joe get IM on his personal site? It is not as technical as you might believe. A simple knowledge of coding and the desire to put an interactive element to your personal page is all that is needed to make it happen.
Check out these options for expanding your web presence with IM:
Create Your Own Standalone IMEver dream of operating your own IM client? You, too, can own your own client for your friends, co-workers, readers or complete strangers to use—in less time to build your IM from the ground up like most developers do! (Lucky you!) AjaxIM is an amazing, free client script you can modify for your own personal use. This powerful little IM is surprisingly versatile and very easy to use.
Use a Client WidgetOne of the coolest developments in the IM industry in the last few years has been the IM widget, which allows users to embed a small box or bar on their websites allowing users immediate and anonymous access to you without revealing your screenname publicly.
AIM was the first client in IM history to offer an interactive element for personal websites, in the form of AIM Remote. This toolbar includes four buttons, allowing users to see when you are online and send you an IM, an email, join your personal chatroom or even add you to their Buddy List. Caution: Using AIM Remote will reveal your personal screenname to others.
However, for the most anonymous—yet vastly interactive experience, try one of these IM widgets, which harness the power of live IM in a mini-chatroom right on your page:
- AIM Wimzi: The Wimzi is as playful as it sounds. In addition to offering your readers and fans direct connection to your IM, AIM also gives you the power of personalizing the experience. Get a Wimzi for Your Website.
- Yahoo! Messenger Pingbox One of the newest widgets on the block, Pingbox brings the power of Yahoo! to your website in one little package. A library of exciting wallpaper options makes Pingbox as unique as you are! Get Pingbox on Your Website.
- Windows Live Messenger IM Control Clean and simple, like the real Windows Live Messenger, IM Control is a great way to facilitate real-time IM between a website or blog owner and their loving public. Get IM Control on Your Website.
- Google Talk Gadget: Gadget is a very handy tool for Google Talk users looking to expand interactivity on their blog or personal site. Grab a Gadget for yourself and start chatting with each in a widget designed simply like Talk, itself. Get a Google Talk Gadget.
- Digsby Widget: One of America’s favorite multi-protocol IM clients now has their very own widget, helping keep Digsby users connected to friends and fans on their own personal sites. Get a Digsby Widget for Your Website.
- MeeboMe: For users of browser-based IM client Meebo, the MeeboMe widget is a great way to spread the word about this amazing online app and expand your means of contact on your social networking profiles and blogs. Get MeeboMe.