While this service is a little more complex than dialing a telephone number, it is a great service for those who are not interested in PC-to-PC calling or paying for a PC-to-phone service.
To take advantage of free VoIP via Google Talk, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Talk IM client. If you do not have Google Talk, you can download it free on the Google Talk web site.
- Next, click the “Add” button as you would to add a contact on Google Talk.
- Next, type in your contact’s telephone number using the following format: telephone email@example.com. For example, if your friend’s number was 555-555-1212, it should appear as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A confirmation will appear on Google Talk with a local telephone number for your contact to call. This number will be sent automatically by text message, however, you may also want to provide the number if the text is not received.
- To place your free telephone call, click on your contact’s telephone number on the Google Talk window and press “Call.”
- Talkster will dial the contact’s telephone number. Upon answering, instruct your contact to call their local telephone number provided by Talkster, then wait on the line as they hang up. Do not end the call. When your contact calls the local telephone number, the call will be reconnected for unlimited international talk.
Talkster offers local numbers in more than 30 countries, including Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States.
For more information, visit the Gtalk-to-VoIP web site.