The service, which launched in 2008, works by placing the chat room groups of choice on your IM Buddy List.
By double-clicking and sending an IM to that group, Groups.im automatically connects you, regardless of IM client, to up to 600 members at one time in that chat.
The result is nothing short of amazing, says Groups.im Spokesperson Frank Fan.
"Groups.im really has the potential to connect thousands of people," he said.
"We find most of our users are young people, between 16-to-25 [years], and they use it for social networking, to chat about hot topics, share pictures and multimedia. It is pretty incredible."
What might be even more incredible is the fact Groups.im, in just under a year and a half, has already amassed over 1.5 million users, a majority of which live in Europe and the Middle East.
Building a dedicated U.S. user base, Fan said, is Groups.im's focus in 2010.
About Groups.im ServiceJoining Groups.im is simple, free to use and requires no registration or installation.
Users should log on to Groups.im's web site. There, IM users can:
- Search group by country, catalog, or topic, and then join a chat or create a group of your own
- Invite your buddies to join the group
- Chat with up to 600 members in a group conversation
- Communicate with group friends who use Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger and Google Talk
- Send text messages in real-time to group friends in customizable fonts & colors, or emoticon, wink, and handwriting
- Share webpage, pictures, music, video
- Exchange IM address, name cards
- Chat privately with members within the group
- Access group chat history
- Benefits include independent group site, discussion board, album, management of membership, group privacy and permission assignment
Groups.im chat service is available on Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger and Google Talk, and can be accessed on Windows, Xbox, Mac, Mobile and the Web.